Denise Newman: Thoughts



1 July 1975

The experience of having a part in the making of a ceramic wall for the Chapel here at Xavier University has been both a learning experience and a chance to use what knowledge I already possessed to achieve something I had never done before. I had never worked with anything so large in size, so that from the beginning I had to think of design and composition in a much larger scale and then try to break it down so that it could be worked out and, in the end, become a work we could be proud of.


I had an opportunity to learn how it is to work with others instead of alone. Julie [Romain] and Reggie [Atkinson], with Mr. Bennett were easy to work with, and everyone seemed to give everything of his or her talents and ability. We all went through each step together, sharing the problems that went with it. Having already done some tiles, through trial and error, we learned a pretty good formula for making tiles that would not crack or break before firing or after. Through teamwork and this experience we were able to make tiles of any clay body and not have them break. This was an advantage so that the only thing to worry about was firing without breaking.


Firing proved to be a learning experience for everyone. With Mr. Bennett’s help, everyone got a chance to learn how to fire the kiln, and each of us got a chance to do a firing alone. I had already known a few things about firing the kiln but to do it by myself was something different. Now I understand pretty much what it is all about and feel quite confident in firing the kiln. I think we all do.


In making the slabs, or tiles, we were able not only to use the African symbols we had set down as a basis for our subject matter, but also to use designs which could be considered an offshoot of the symbols and at time jut simply “play” with the medium of clay. It was not only a learning experience but also just fun. This really gave me a chance to use clay in ways I had not previously done and to appreciate clay and use it simply for what it is although we were confined to a flat surface pretty much. We also experimented with combing different clay bodies, and they were all very successful.


We were concerned with trying to make the tiles surrounding each piece express an idea which could be carried through, so that there would be some unity, not only the surrounding area but throughout the entire wall. Even though we had an idea of general composition and size, and we worked accordingly, things changed as we worked. I learned not to panic when things did not go exactly according to the way we planned even though the planning itself was not very detailed.


The dimensions of the projected wall changed a couple of times – which altered our plans a little, but as Mr. Bennett would say, “It is all part of the creative process.” The tiles were numbered on the backs and where they were positioned on the plywood panels, so that placing them would be easier once the wall was up. The redwood beams were placed at positions, horizontal and vertical, to achieve good design throughout the wall space. We rubbed stain into the beams after they were attached to the panels and then coated them with a wax finish. Although this was a small thing, it was something new to learn for me and for everyone else.


That is what I really liked about the whole experience, learning new things along with using things I already knew. The process of putting the titles on the wall with adhesive, then laying in the grout which we colored ourselves, was also different. We also appreciated Father Moses Anderson’s help and support throughout the entire venture. I think he probably learned as much as we did about what it takes to do something like this.


Not only did we learn something from our own experiences but also from Mr. John Scott, who did a wooden sculpture piece out of redwood, in relief, and a bronze piece.


The whole time we were constructing and building the wall, it was fun, but at the same time, everyone worked hard. I think if anyone were to see the completed project, one would be able to see exactly that. Mr. Charles Graves, our design instructor, stopped in one day and made a comment. He said, “The wall gives me a friendly, warm feeling.” That was a compliment which really made us feel good. I think that even though we did not set out to do this on purpose, it is something that should be felt in a chapel setting so that people will be able to “feel at home” when they come in to pray or to celebrate the Eucharist.


All I can say is that I am glad I had the chance to do something like this for my own experience, to work with my friends, and to do something worthwhile for the school. I’ll never forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment