Julie Romain: Thoughts


30 June 1975

I’m witnessing the development of a wall space and at the same time, in excitement, exploring what can be achieved from it. Every now and then, I have an urge to stand back and visualize the entire wall as a completed design.


From the very beginning of preparing the surface, I had the opportunity of sharing my ideas, but, more important to me is the experience and knowledge gained by working with other students. While working together we can incorporate each other’s ideas to develop the wall into a unified theme. I personally feel this adds more excitement to a project and enhances the surface in seeing a variety of approaches and style develop and grow into one. Every mark placed up a clay surface is a reflection of a ceramist as an individual. It’s part of her – not to say, “She has done this,” but to realize it comes from within her personal character, and in taking several clay slabs together, we can read sometimes her motivation.


We began with a general placement for the tiles. Using African signs, we proceeded in making the ceramic-tile slabs, which convey an Afro-American theme. From this very point I enjoyed maneuvering my ideas to conform with the ideas of others by using surrounding pieces so that each piece would become integral to the entire theme.


As I became more involved with the actual construction of the wall, where I was able to see it from a distance, I could understand and experience an African language interpreted in another way. And that way is visual form. Ideas and conceptions are visually flown across the small chapel. The wall has contributed to the present atmosphere of the chapel area to those who will enjoy it.


It is a special feeling to know that we can bring about reaction of our observers as they pass through the chapel and view the wall in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment